Learning Goals: This course provides a core grounding in how science and technology have developed to enable the Internet of Things – in a way appropriate for any learner. For those interested in developing further hands-on expertise in designing and developing for the Internet of Things, this course will provide a context to the discoveries and converging technologies that will springboard the next round of innovations.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
· Compare how the telephone system works (that is, peer-to-peer networks) with how media delivery works (that is, broadcast/multicast networks).
· Explain the tradeoffs between circuit switched networks (that is, dedicated resources) and packet switched networks (that is, shared resources).
· Tell interesting stories about key innovations that transformed the communications, entertainment and consumer electronics industries.
· Explain how email, YouTube, SMS, etc. work.
· Find resources for those wishing to do more of a “deep-dive” into the above topics.